
I saw this butterfly outside yesterday. Some of it's scales have been rubbed off, but the pattern is still very pretty, especially the reds and blues. I suppose this should go under the title 'Sad Butterfly' but I don't want too many sad butterflies and balloons on my blog...
3 Comments:
Great butterfly, but it's not a monarch. It's an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus).
You have to expect taxonomic heckling if you write a blog read by biology dorks....
Yeah, I was wondering about whether or not I was wrong about what kind it was. Now that I've found a photo of a monarch at iSpecies, I can begin to understand how wrong I was. "Taxonomic heckling"--ha ha.
I love Eastern Swallowtails! They are the state insect of Virginia and very common there so I got to see them a lot.
And Chris, if you get to heckle, you have to have your own blog so we can heckle you too! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home