Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Scanner Darkly




Yesterday I went to an interesting thing that will make Ingrid jealous. It was a preview of Richard Linklater's latest, an adaptation of a Phillip K. Dick novel A Scanner Darkly.
It was a star-studded event from the beginning, as Ethan Hawke waltzed in while I was out buying popcorn (he isn't in the movie but has been in other Linklater films like Before Sunrise). The movie itself was interesting, it's cool looking but can get a little slow paced at times.
Then after the movie was a great panel discussion by Richard Linklater, Robert Downey Jr., novelist Jonathan Lethem (for some reason), Philip K. Dick's daughter and Keanu Reeves. I went with my friend Melissa and we were three rows from the front so we were really close to them. They talked about making the movie in Austin and how Philip K. Dick's own battle with drug addiction was the inspiration for the book.
Anyway, I don't know if I would totally recommend the movie but its definitely interesting.

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Cool post, Mae! What's the story about the title of the movie?

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Joel said...

Yes - it comes from the end of 1 Corinthians 13, a popular wedding reading, aka the "love" chapter:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Maybe Mae can tell us what "Scanner" means in the title.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home