Break time
I've been taking advantage of the recent slowdown in Photosynthesis Measuring by babysitting and catching up on my New Yorker reading. That is, in addition to all the, ahem, partying. Two recently riveting articles about scientific controversies:
1. Manifold Destiny, from the Aug. 28 issue, an account of the recent 'solving' of Poincare conjecture and the controversy around it.
2. The Baby Lab, from the Sept. 4 Education issue, about the nurture/nature debate and how baby studies inform it. Unfortunately not available online...fascinating though, those with tiny babies should definitely check it out.
While babysitting, I learn about the ambiguous nature of headaches:


7 Comments:
What a great video of Joey. And I liked the Poincare article, too. Too bad the baby one isn't online. That's about the only way I can read an artice these days. Are the halls of Jordan busy with undergrads yet?
Thanks for commenting, Jon! I just learned the tag for 'embed' (for embedding a video into the blog post) from Youtube (where I tried to upload a video without much success) so I thought I would try it out. The students have been back for about a week! They also didn't get Labor Day off so it's just a normal day today in the lab and on campus. How are all the St. Thomas undergrads?
No undergrads yet. Classes start on Wednesday. Yikes.
So why does this video not look like a YouTube video? When I use YouTube, it has a little player window, but this video is just like a normal video. Or did you not use YouTube for this one?
I tried to use YouTube, but it never finished "processing" the video that I uploaded for some reason. But I was able to use their code that they provided to make the video (which is just stored in my public folder in my IU account) look like it was embedded in the post.
Also, I followed the settings guidelines provided by "Freevlog" (see link at right) to make it a much smaller file (~1MB) than it was originally.
Unfortunately, we don't get very much room in our IU accounts, so I will have to take the video down evenutally.
Good day with the first day of classes! How exciting!
oops, I meant good LUCK with the first day of classes...
Ingrid, I couldn't get the video. Any suggestions about how I can watch it other than buying a new computer? MOM
You might have to download Quicktime if your computer doesn't have it...Have you been able to watch any of the other videos?
Post a Comment
<< Home