Thursday, August 17, 2006

U.S. Soccer


Yesterday I went to a Major League Soccer game! The New York Red Bulls (formerly the MetroStars) played D.C. United, which is the best team in our division (Red Bulls, not so much). It was one of the first games coached by Bruce Arena, who was the U.S. World Cup coach before they fired him after the world cup.

I went with my friends Melissa and Steve and we took a bus out to the Meadowlands, where the Giants and Jets play, to see the game. I have to say the atmosphere was a LOT like a high school football game, but it was fun. Both teams had cheering squads in the stands that were really into the game and had drums.

The final score was 0-0, which is maddeningly common in soccer, but it was still fun. Go Red Bulls! Does MN, NC, GA, UT or IN (or any other state belonging to a loyal reader) have a soccer team?

7 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

I don't know about the State of Indiana, but IU has a well-ranked men's soccer team. They have a big game every year where they play the Mexican Men's soccer team, that is, the national high school team of Mexico.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Daniela said...

I don't know if Minnesota, our future home, has a soccer team but it would be way cool if it did. I would definitely go see a game! Got all into it during the world cup and all.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Jonathan D. Jacobs said...

Uh, I didn't know about MN either. So I looked it up. We've got the Minnesota Thunder, but they're not a part of MLS, but part of USL, which I'm guessing is like a minor league team. Is that right you other Minnesotans?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger John E. said...

Atlanta also has a USL team, the Silverbacks. They are named after a famous gorilla in the Atlanta zoo. They play in a new stadium in the shadow of "Spaghetti Junction" a huge freeway interchange, and they sponsor a range of amateur and youth teams according to their website.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, MetroStars is a better name than Red Bulls, especially given the energy drinky thing. I guess they are sponsored by Red Bull. Boo for the corporatization of sports. Oops, getting on my high horse there. We'll have to go the USL games if the other Minnesotans are interested in tagging along. Also, St Paul has the St Paul Saints which are in a independent league (so not AAA or AA or whatever in the regular minor league). We most definitely plan on going to some of those games. Their stadium is actually in one of the neighborhoods we are thinking of living in (Midway). good sports fun!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Wow, so much soccer knowledge, Daniela! And everyone.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

I don't know much about it, but the MN Thunder play in a St. Paul high school football stadium, so they're definitely not big time. I played outside there this summer with one of my community bands and the crowd was made up of parents and soccer-playing kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home