Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Crop art


Not that its any comparison to Teresa's crop art, but I got the coolest stamps at the post office today (just to dissuade anyone with any lingering thoughts that I am cool).

They are of "Crops of the Americas" and apparently they came out in March, but I wasn't paying attention. You wouldn't think, but they are very pretty.

Here's some info courtesy of Google: "Artist Steve Buchanan, of Winsted, Connecticut, created each of the five stamp designs. As reference, he used slide photographs made by his wife Rita Buchanan's research in the late 1970s on indigenous agricultural methods in the southwestern United States. The crops depicted in the stamps—corn, chili peppers, beans, squashes, and sunflowers—had been cultivated in the Americas for centuries when Europeans first arrived in the New World."

2 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Daniela said...

I love these stamps...so cool to have fruits! And native ones at that.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Lynda S said...

If you read GUNS,GERMS AND STEEL, the author spends a lot of time talking about these American crops and their food value. Fascinating that someone thought to make stamp art out of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home