Candy is dandy
As day-after candy surpluses fill offices everywhere, Ingrid and I were just reminiscing about candy of yore. I remember how the three-packs of Sweetarts started my life long suger addiction (my dentists love me) and Ingrid remembered how the general store at Island Lake always offered little packets of runts and lollipops.--Mae
Somehow we were free to run around and do whatever we wanted at Island Lake, and what we wanted to do was go to the general store and buy candy. We would buy candy, eat it, go back and buy more candy, and eat it. We developed our own little candy barter system among the cousins. My favorite was always the little 25cent packs of runts. It's too bad Willy Wonka ruined the modern runts with blue things and watermelon pieces.
--Ingrid
What is/was YOUR favorite candy?


7 Comments:
I'm pretty consistent through time. Reese's PB cups have always been my favorite. I even have a very specific way to eat them that hasn't changed in about 23 years...
I used to save my halloween candy for months in a drawer next to my bed. My brother always ate his right away. I strongly suspected that he would sneak in my room and steal my candy but he always denied it. He recently admitted that he DID steal some of it. Siblings...
Wow, how do you eat your peanut butter cups, P&MM? Also, you must have been very strong to save your candy--I know I couldn't do that!
And here we parents thought you kids were enjoying nature up at the lake! I was going to ask you to post a picture--all seven of you cousins posed with candy cigarettes, even Stevie and Liv who were about a year old. But, alas, although I remember it well, I couldn't find it. Perhaps I destroyed it so there wouldn't be any proof of bad parenting.
oh yeah, I remember that photo too! It was pretty funny. Those candy cigarettes would blow a puff of sugar "smoke" when you blew through them. Or were they the bubblegum ones? Maybe we have a copy of the photo in ATL, we can look for it when we go home for Thanksgiving.
We lived for a year in Italy when I was 8 and we (my sister Debbie and I) used to find lire coins (Italian currency back then) in the street and take them to the candy store. We would debate what to get and tried to calculate, based on the number of coins we had, what we would be able to purchase, because the candy-store lady didn't speak English and we didn't speak Italian. Luckily (or so we thought), we always picked the right amount. Years later our Mom pointed out that the coins we picked up off the street were essentially worthless (pairs of shoes cost millions of lire and we were finding one and five cent coins) and we never had enough to buy any candy, but the candy-store lady never had the heart to turn us away. Kids rule in Italy.
Lynda D
Speaking of the Island Lake store, I always felt sorry for the lady who ran the resort (Lavina?). She worked constantly around the resort doing things like raking the sand, and as soon as she went in the house to get off her feet, some little kid would go in the store to buy 5 cents worth of candy and she would have to jump up. BTW, we have a copy of the "candy cigarettes" picture Teresa mentioned -- came across it while looking for the Halloween photos.
how to eat a reese's peanut butter cup in two easy steps:
1. gently bite off chocolate from the rim of the cup (the part imprinted with cup wrapper thing) and eat. Kind of rabbit-like munching as you go along.
2. Stuff the rest of the cup in your mouth all at once. Try to close mouth while eating so as not to disgust office-mates, family, and friends.
Aren't I SO lady-like?!
Lynda D-- that is the sweetest story! Italy is soooo great.
Post a Comment
<< Home