Giulio Cesare

I went to the Opera at the Metropolitan last night, via a free ticket from a friend's parent who couldn't go. I have to admit I kept flashing back to the Moonstruck scenes at the Met. I saw Giulio Cesare, and it was very pretty, I didn't even mind that it was four hours long. There are lots of interesting factoids: The opera was written in Italian by Handel, a German who staged most of his work, including this one, in London. The male characters were originally written for singers who were "castrati" which unfortunately is what it sounds like, and so their voices are really high. Usually these days the parts are given to women, but David Daniels sung the title role, the first time it was done by a male at the Met. He was pretty amazing, and he is from Spartanburg, South Carolina! Well, I got home at 1 a.m. so now I am pretty sleepy, but it was worth it!


2 Comments:
Very cool, a classic New York experience. I can't wait to come visit in May to have some more New York moments, too. That is cool that the dude was from South Carolina, which you guys just drove through last weekend!
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the opera, Mae. I bet the music was very good. We have had several performances here featuring "counter tenors" as men who sing in that range are now called. I think I may even have heard that guy sing here. Since I am an early music fan, I am really glad that you thought it was a good show. Wish I could have been there with you!
Post a Comment
<< Home