Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Our Victory (Deck) Garden


Happy 4th of July! Here are a few photos of our tiny "victory garden". Our outdoor plants serve a functional purpose, providing us with food to eat (maybe because we see enough flowers at our jobs). From our friends extraordinaire Jen and Des we got the tomato and habenero pepper plants seen on the deck, and last weekend we picked up a couple of bell pepper plants. We also have a starter herb garden with cilantro, basil and parsley. Oh, and we also have a pot of what used to be phlox but is now random grasses and sedum that Chris threw in there. I've never grown herbs before so this is definitely going to be a learning experience. Any tips, anyone?

5 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

My mother would approve, Ingrid! When she was young people first had gardens because of the Great Depression and then WWII victory gardens. She was saying it was terrible that people in cities didn't grow some vegetables, so I showed her around our neighborhood where some yards and boulevards are completely taken over by vegetable plots (not always too attractively). We have two cherry tomato plants, some 'burpless' cucumbers, and rhubarb. The rest I can get from my parents!

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Looks great! Enjoy the fresh herbs!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Mae said...

I'm jealous! i would try to grow things if i had a yard, or any light at all in my apt!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Teresa, do you make rhubarb pie with the rhubarb? I think our vegetables are going to be ready pretty late in the summer, since we got kind of a late start! So it's good that we can enjoy the herbs immediately!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Yes, I have a wonderful pie recipe that uses sour cream with the rhubarb (I use the low fat variety). I also have a good recipe for pie crust that uses oil and doesn't need to be rolled out. Let me know if you are interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home