Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Eat your fruits and vegetables


I am splitting a vegetable share with my friend in the neighborhood. Basically we paid a set amount up front and then we get fruits and vegetables from a farm upstate every week between June and November. It is just starting up and I hope it will help me eat healthier and find new recipes. Yesterday we got: turnips, swiss chard, a head of red lettuce and green lettuce, parsley, scallions, garlic scapes and bok choy. This week, I made a salad with the lettuce and sauteed the rest of it together, along with an onion and red pepper that I bought. I added a spice mix, salt, pepper and a few red pepper flakes.
The result is a bit random but hopefully it will serve me for lunch for the next few days!
So far my favorite has been the fruit share, we have gotten amazing farm-fresh strawberries the past two weeks!
I'm lucky to be part of it because its only open to members of the related co-op, which my friend is. And she is gone next week so i get the whole share, yum.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Sounds cool! I always end up eating the same old vegetables, a garden share sounds great...

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Lynda S said...

I love the fact that you are getting all those great veggies and fruits. It really will make you healthier to eat that stuff and it's delicious. I will send you some info. about different healthy (and quick) ways of cooking veggies which I've learned about from the book that Ingrid gave me. Well, I'm off to the Decatur Farmer's Market! I wonder what veggies they will have?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home