Monday, May 31, 2010

Epic Catch Up Post

I have fallen far behind during the end of April and the month of May with regards to this Wilton Drive photo blog. I can only hope to catch up with this epic catch up post. Many things have happened.

The first thing that happened was that many biologists came to visit us. We basically had several "Biologists in Residence" for a few weeks. The first one was Chris Eckert, Chris's advisor, but unfortunately I don't have any photos. Suffice it to say that Chris and Chris had a great visit that included finding a steel guitar store and visiting Cedar Glades and the Hatch Show Print shop, a good mix of local biology and country music history.

Other biologists included Chris's colleagues Eirik and Sarah from MTSU. Here we are having brunch in Hilsboro, a trendy Vandy neighborhood.
Next, Eirik and his Norwegian girlfriend Bente came up to visit with her adorable little girl from Norway. It was fun to take them to see downtown Nashville, especially since the downtown experienced epic flooding less than two weeks later, so it was our last chance to experience downtown as it was. Here are the downtown "before" photos.


Here is a photo from the Tennessean showing the flooded downtown in the first week in May.

Fortunately our area was not affected. The only sign of the 1,000 year flood was the manhole in the alley behind our house:

Our final biologist visitor, Jeremiah, came to visit and do fieldwork with his grad student just before the floods. Here we are at Roy Orbison night at the Nashville Sounds game:
I went to New York to visit Mae for our birthday the third week in May. I was also able to see Rebecca as she was in town for the weekend. Here are Mae and Rebecca on the Met Rooftop garden. We all have the same birthday, so we were able to celebrate together!

It might have rained on our birthday but I still had a great visit!

The last thing that happened in May was a visit to Atlanta for Memorial Day weekend. All of the hydrangeas were in full bloom and the Decatur Arts Festival was also happening. Chris and I had a fun visit which included the Gecko exhibit at Fernbank. Here's hoping June will be just as eventful as May!

2 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Lynda S said...

Great and epic post Ingrid. I had no idea you were so busy in May but it sounds wonderful. We enjoyed your visit very much and look forward to July 4!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Mae said...

nice catch up post! yay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home