Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Midsummer Night's Dream


It might have been the end of the summer, but I saw Midsummer Night's Dream as part of Shakespeare in the Park on Sunday. Martha Plimpton was really good! She has come a long way from Ingrid's favorite movie, "Running on Empty." I also found it to be an easy play to follow even though I never studied in in school or read it before. Well, goodbye summer, hello fall.

7 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ingrid said...

Now that Mom and Dad and Mae all have high speed DSL, our blog will be unstoppable! It's so cool that you get to see live outdoor theater, Mae.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger John E. said...

"what fools these mortals be" is that from that play? I think Mom and I saw it at the Alliance Theatre before Mae and Ingrid were born. As I recall, the production had a circus theme, with the actors on trapezes and high wires, etc.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Lynda S said...

I don't remember the Alliance Theater version but I did see it in Regent's Park in London in 1969. "It was awesome" as they say.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Recently Joel and I started going to every-other-month Shakespeare readings at a friend's house. Everyone brings food to share and after a quick dinner we just start reading. The leader assigns new parts for every scene, with no accounting for gender, talent, etc. If the part calls for a song or other music, you have to provide it on the spot! It's really a lot of fun. "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was the first play we participated in.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Mae said...

that sounds fun! who got to play "The Wall"? that was my favorite part!!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Joel said...

I don't remember who did the wall, since everyone takes turns; every scene the host just assigned the next people to the roles coming up in that scene. So everyone gets multiple turns doing multiple roles.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

What Joel doesn't mention is that the next month we read MacBeth and he used a heavy Scottish accent for every character, causing them all to sound alike! Unfortunately, I was not sitting near him so couldn't give him a wifely kick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home