Sabotage!

I found this amazingly stripey fellow munching away on our late crop of tomatos today. Any guesses as to what type of butterfly or moth he will turn into?
Update: Here's a link about the tobacco hornworm:
Gyroscopes tell moths how to fly straight.
Maybe one day he will grow up and pollinate a Silene.


4 Comments:
ew that thing is huge
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/tomato.htm
Congratulations, Ingrid. You have discovered the Tomato Hornworm!
Isn't Google great...
Dad
As a former biologist, I kind of want to see it parasitized by wasps, OR pollinate a Silene latifolia. Either one.
I agree, Ingrid, either of those options would be MUCH better than it eating your tomatoes!
We never do stop being biologists. I saw this cool Campanula sp. in Italy and since my advisor in grad school studied Campanula I wanted to collect seed pods for her & would have except none were ready yet...so I just took a bunch of photos. Including one of a rosette, no flowers even, that was clinging to the side of a rock-cut church. Everyone was like, who's the crazy lady taking photos of LEAVES?!
Post a Comment
<< Home