and Elkins Avenue! Photo blog for Ingrid's Family and Friends
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Flu shot
Well MOM will be happy that I got a flu shot at work today, but in the newsroom there is a pretty big divide on whether to get one or not. What do the loyal readers think and what do you think Dad, since you work at CDC. Is a flu shot worth it?
Mae, how can you leave yourself open to such feedback when you have so many relatives in public health???? Two of them working for an immunization organization? Seriously, you are in a low-risk group age-wise, so you would probably survive influenza, but... Last year in Minnesota, we had 6 previously healthy children die from it. Anyway, here are some Q&As on the disease and the vaccine that I wrote for one of IAC's websites: http://www.vaccineinformation.org/flu/qandadis.asp http://www.vaccineinformation.org/flu/qandavax.asp
At our house Maria always gets the vaccine, and I can't remember the last time I did. I've heard that in households where one spouse has had the vaccine both are much less likely to get the flu - Teresa?
Peter, I haven't heard that but it makes sense because of 'herd immunity.' People in the same household are likely to share germs, so if Maria is immune to the virus, that protects you.
6 Comments:
Mae, how can you leave yourself open to such feedback when you have so many relatives in public health???? Two of them working for an immunization organization? Seriously, you are in a low-risk group age-wise, so you would probably survive influenza, but... Last year in Minnesota, we had 6 previously healthy children die from it. Anyway, here are some Q&As on the disease and the vaccine that I wrote for one of IAC's websites: http://www.vaccineinformation.org/flu/qandadis.asp
http://www.vaccineinformation.org/flu/qandavax.asp
At our house Maria always gets the vaccine, and I can't remember the last time I did. I've heard that in households where one spouse has had the vaccine both are much less likely to get the flu - Teresa?
Mae, I'm glad you got the shot. It's better than the risk of flu. I will get one asap when I can find out where. bye for now.
Like Teresa said, you are probably low risk, but you might as well get one. I plan to get one when they offer them where I work.
Dad
Peter, I haven't heard that but it makes sense because of 'herd immunity.' People in the same household are likely to share germs, so if Maria is immune to the virus, that protects you.
I'm wondering what are the cons besides the fact that you might have to pay for it if you can't find a free deal somewhere?
Post a Comment
<< Home